STATEMENT OF FAITH OF THE COUNCIL OF MESSIANIC JEWISH CONGREGATIONS (CMJC/CMJI)
We affirm with Perfect Faith:
- We believe the Bible, Tanakh (commonly called the Old Testament) and Brit Chadasha (New Covenant) is the only divinely inspired, inerrant word of God. It is fully trustworthy, and is the supreme and final authority in all matters of faith and practice. (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21).
- We believe that there is one God (Elohim) who revealed Himself as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. His nature is a Singular plurality (Echad) and is eternally co-existent. (Genesis 1:1,1:26; Hebrews 1:1-3; Colossians 1:15-20)
- We believe in the deity of Yeshua Ha Mashiach (Jesus the Messiah), His Virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, His return personally in power and great glory. We believe Yeshua lived a holy life (as a Tzaddik), fulfilling without blemish the commandments (mitzvoth) of the Torah and that He brings to perfection the human expression of the divine image. (Zechariah 14:3-9; Luke 24:44-47; I Corinthians 15:24-28, Isaiah 7:14, John 1:14, Hebrews 1:1-4;4:15)
- We believe the Messiah’s death is to be remembered by partaking of the Lord’s Table (Shulkan Adonai) as a reminder of our salvation (1 Corinthians 5:7; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34; Isaiah 53:2-5).
- We believe salvation is from God the Father for lost and sinful man by their repentance from sin, their acceptance of the atonement by Yeshua’s blood and by the regeneration by the Holy Spirit for both Jews and Gentiles. Sin is the transgression of Gods commandments. (Titus 3:5, Romans 10:8-15).
- We believe that upon acceptance of Yeshua as Lord and Messiah, we are sealed with and indwelt by the Holy Spirit of promise and are commanded to be immersed in water (Tevillah) as an outward testimony of our inward experience of salvation. (Ephesians 1:13,14; Romans 6:3; Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 2:38)
- We believe that as Believers there is an empowering presence of the Holy Spirit for the purpose of proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel. (Matthew 3:11; Acts 1:8; 2:38)
- We believe that the Scriptures teach the orderly practice of all the Spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12-14; Romans 12:6-8)
- We believe in the resurrection to everlasting life for all the redeemed and that their names are recorded in the Lamb’s Book of Life. There is also a resurrection to judgment for the unrighteous, resulting in everlasting separation from God. (John 5:24-32, Revelation 20:11-15)
- We believe that the teachings (Torah), the Prophets and the writings given to the Jewish people are as valid for today as when they were first received. (Deuteronomy 30:11-20; 6:20-25; Matthew 5:17-19; Romans 3:27-31;6:23; Ephesian 2:8).
- We believe the Torah is God’s gift to Israel and serves as a constitution for the Jewish people including the Messianic Jewish Community and provides universal norms of behaviour and practical life teaching for both Jewish and Gentile Believers. (2 Timothy 3:16)
- We believe that Israel is God’s chosen people and that Eretz Israel (land of Israel) is their eternal inheritance through a Covenant promise. (Genesis 12:1-3, Deuteronomy 7:6-10, Isaiah 41:9)
- We believe in the literal return of Yeshua in power and great glory.
Note* There are many different positions concerning the meaning of millennium in the Bible and as long as we endorse the Scriptures as the only inspired, inerrant Word of God and believe in the literal second coming of our blessed Messiah to finally bring human history to an end and to establish G-d’s eternal kingdom in a new heavens and on a new earth, then we will agree to disagree about any differences of opinion about the nature of the millennium and the timing of the rapture.
- We believe that Jewish followers of Yeshua are called to maintain their Jewish Biblical heritage and remain part of the people of Israel, as well as part of the universal body of Believers. (Exodus 19:5,6, Romans 11)
- We believe that Jewish and Non-Jewish Believers have been grafted together as one new man and are fellow partakers of the covenants and richness of the Olive Tree. (Romans 11:17-21; Ephesians 2:11-22.).
- We believe it is essential for Messianic Believers to be connected to a local community for encouragement, training and accountability (Ephesians 4:11-16)
- We believe that Messianic Congregations should be in fellowship with one another for the purposes of: unity, fellowship, leadership training, credentialing and to uphold sound
doctrinal and moral standards. (Matthew 18;15-18, Gal. 6:1-2; Romans 9:1-5, 1 Cor. 7:17-20)
- We Believe in the Biblical teachings regarding the sanctity of life, the holiness of marriage between a man and a woman and that God is the creator of all things. (Genesis, 1:1 , John 1:1-5, 2:24, Matthew 19:6-9, Psalm 139, Exodus 21:22-24, Leviticus 18-20).
- We Believe that Israel remains the chosen people of God and has never been replaced by all or any portion of the Gentile Church, including those who call themselves Ephramites or those who believe in the Two House Teaching.